WHAT IS AVID?
AVID-Advancement Via Individual Determination: an academic elective at BCHS that helps prepare students to complete college preparatory requirements (A-G Requirements) for college and university entrance.
Who May Participate
have appropriate classroom behavior
have between a 2.5 and 3.5-grade point average (GPA)
have a good attendance record
have good work habits
are willing to commit themselves to a minimum of two hours of homework each night
are willing to commit to enrollment in a rigorous college preparatory sequence of courses
have an average SAT-9/CAT 6 score between 50 and 70 percentile
- To provide academic instruction and support to students and prepare them for eligibility for 4-Year Colleges and universities.
- To give students college level entry skills
- To increase the “coping skills” of program participants
- To motivate program students to seek a college education
- To increase the participants’ levels of college and career awareness
- Writing for all classes
- Developing success strategies
- Preparing for a professional career
- Interacting with guest speakers
- Participating in extracurricular and community activities
- Learning with college tutors
- Visiting college campuses
- Applying for colleges